Your privacy is important to us. We hope the following policy will help you understand how we use and safeguard the information you provide. In keeping with our commitment to privacy, here are the details about the information we collect when you or your child visits this site. We are in full compliance with COPPA and FERPA.
Learn with Socrates supports the Student Privacy Pledge (SPP) to safeguard student privacy. Student or child data is only retained for educational purposes.
How do we protect your information?
WithSocrates data is stored with Microsoft Azure. Microsoft Azure runs in datacenters managed and operated by Microsoft. These geographically dispersed datacenters comply with key industry standards, such as ISO/IEC 27001:2013 and NIST SP 800-53, for security and reliability. The datacenters are managed, monitored, and administered by Microsoft operations staff. Microsoft staff have no access to the personal data stored in WithSocrates.
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user places an order enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
How does WithSocrates protect children’s privacy?
WithSocrates accounts are created by parents and educational institutions. WithSocrates not permit children under the age of 13 to create an account and does not knowingly collect personally identifying information from children under the age of 13 without the consent of a parent or educational institution. WithSocrates may collect and store question answers provided by users of accounts created by parents and educational institutions for the purpose of providing feedback to the user and educational institution and for compiling reports and awards. WithSocrates may also collect and store an email address provided by users of accounts created by parents and educational institutions for the purpose of password reset. WithSocrates will not ask children under age 13 for more information, as a condition of participation, than is reasonably necessary to participate in a given activity. If any information is disclosed to WithSocrates by a child under the age of 13, that child’s parent may contact WithSocrates using the contact information below to ascertain the information collected and/or to request its deletion.
COPPA (Children Online Privacy Protection Act)
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under the age of 13 years old, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, United States’ consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online.
Do we let third-parties, including ad networks or plug-ins collect PII from children under 13?
In order to remove your child’s information please contact the following personnel:
We adhere to the following COPPA tenants:
- We will not require a child to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity.
- Parents can review their child’s personal information, direct us to delete it, and refuse to allow any further collection or use of the child’s information.
- Parents can agree to the collection and use of their child’s information, but still not allow disclosure to third-parties unless that’s part of the service.
- Parents can review, delete, manage or refuse with whom their child’s information is shared through account settings on our website, through emailing our support staff, by mailing us a letter contacting us directly.
- Parents can give consent by signing a consent form and send it back to you via fax, mail, or electronic scan, use a credit card, debit card, or other online payment system that provides notification of each separate transaction to the account holder or contacting us directly.
- Information we collect from children
During our registration process we ask the child to provide certain information to facilitate security, account validation, and notification purposes. The information we request includes:
- Parent or guardian’s email address
- Child’s first name
- Child’s member account username and password
The above information is used to create the initial request for an account. Following account validation through consent from a parent or guardian the account can include additional details:
- Last name
- Additional profile information
About the collection of the parent email address: Per COPPA’s requirements for sites targeting audiences of children 12 years or younger, we request the parent or guardian’s email address prior to any collection of personal information from the child. We will not utilize the parent email address for any purpose other than parental consent unless the parent or guardian has expressly agreed to receive email marketing materials or other communications.
About Verifiable Parental Consent: We seek parent or guardian consent through Email. Our verifiable parental consent email contains:
- The information collected during the registration process
- The information we are collecting
- How we plan to use the information
- How the parent or guardian may provide consent
- How the parent or guardian may revoke consent
In school-based activities, and in accordance with COPPA guidelines, school administrators and teachers are allowed to act in the stead of parents or guardians to provide consent to the collection of personal information. Visit the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) website for more details FERPA site.
- Parental Controls
At any time, parents can refuse to permit us to collect further personal information from their children in association with a particular account and can request that we delete from our records the personal information we have collected in connection with that account. Please keep in mind that a request to delete records may lead to a termination of an account, membership, or other service.
Parents or guardians can contact Education Revolution – email@example.com – at any time to request, change, or delete their child’s personal information.
What personal information do we collect from the people that visit our blog, website or app?
When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, credit card information, or other details to help you with your experience.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, place an order, subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form or enter information on our site.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
- To personalize your experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our website in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site features.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To send periodic emails regarding your educational progress, order, or other products and services.
- To follow up with them after correspondence (live chat, email or phone inquiries)
What are cookies and how does WithSocrates use them?
- Keep track of whether you are signed in or have previously signed in so that we can display all the features that are available to you.
- We may remember your settings on the pages you visit, so that we can display your preferred content the next time you visit.
- Customize the function and appearance of the pages you visit based on information relating to your account; for example, a student can change their look and feel by customizing their player badge.
- Know your username when you submit a technical support request so that you don’t have to type it in.
- Track website usage in aggregate for various purposes including sales, marketing, and billing.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features and services (particularly those that require you to sign in) may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
We may also use local storage mechanisms other than cookies, including but not limited to Flash storage and HTML5 local storage.
If users disable cookies in their browser:
If you turn cookies off, some of the features that make your site experience more efficient may not function properly.Some of the features that make your site experience more efficient and may not function properly.
We do not sell or trade user information for commercial purposes.
Business Partners & Sponsors. WithSocrates does not disclose any personal information to Business Partners or Sponsors.
Educational Institution Affiliation. WithSocrates may disclose information collected from users associated with an educational institution with other users designated by the educational institution, such as teachers and school administrators of that institution.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
When you leave our site
California Online Privacy Protection Act
According to CalOPPA, we agree to the following:
Users can visit our site anonymously.
You can change your personal information by logging in to your account.
How does our site handle Do Not Track signals?
We honor Do Not Track signals and Do Not Track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Fair Information Practices
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices we will take the following responsive action, should a data breach occur:
We will notify you via email
- Within 7 business days
We also agree to the Individual Redress Principle which requires that individuals have the right to legally pursue enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data users, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
7935 West Badura Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89113 (USA)
Tel. (702) 560-6776